A close relative to Venus® is the variety Starlight® which is the result of crossing Cornus kousa with the Pacific dogwood, Cornus nuttallii.
Qualities for Starlight® include:
- Produces profuse, slightly greenish white flowers (bracts) – four to five inches in size
- Abundant flowers will almost completely cover the tree to create a showy appearance
- This dogwood variety flowers one week earlier than Venus®
- During the fall months you will enjoy seeing attractive strawberry like fruit
- Starlight® will produce a tree that is extremely healthy and vigorous
- Has a reputation for good tolerance of drought conditions
- Starlight® is noted for high resistance to the diseases powdery mildew and anthracnose. In fact, no insect or disease problems have been observed during the almost thirty years since the original hybrid tree was planted.
- Plants of Starlight® grow vigorously and develop into an erect, uniformly wide, and densely branched tree. You can expect this variety to reach heights of over twenty five feet tall and spreads of over twenty feet in diameter in thirty years
- Has superior winter hardiness – USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 6A