- 2013 Growers Bulletin - Printable version of the 2013 Growers Bulletin (PDF).
- 2014 Growers Bulletin - Printable version of the 2014 Growers Bulletin (PDF).
- 2015 Growers Bulletin - Printable version of the 2015 Growers Bulletin (PDF).
- 2020 Growers Bulletin - Printable version of the 2020 Growers Bulletin (PDF).
2013 Growers Bulletin
February 17, 2013
Dear Cranberry Grower:
This is our 2nd bulletin to cranberry growers providing information we hope you will find useful.
- We are often asked about the comparative yield in different locales of the Rutgers Cranberry Varieties. The chart on the next page provides data from Wisconsin, for which we have sufficient data for beds at least 3 years old to provide meaningful results. Rutgers Varieties have yielded an average of 471?548 barrels/acre, with the yield range for this data set at 299?691 barrels/acre. Yield may vary by local factors, horticultural practices, planting date and type, bed condition, etc.
- In 2012 Rutgers released a new patented cranberry variety, Scarlet Knight?, that has many characteristics attractive for the fresh fruit market, such as good keeping qualities, large fruit size, and high color (see photos and information next page). More information on Scarlet Knight? is available from Integrity Propagation, with contact numbers at http://integritypropagation.com/index.html.
The data shown is gathered from Annual Reports licensed growers are obligated to provide. In that respect, we remind licensed growers to submit Annual Reports and Propagation Buyout Forms (for Mowed acreage) as required by the license agreement. You should send in any due or past-due reports now.
For forms (Annual Report, Royalty Reports) or for license agreements, contact:
Mr. B. Rafayel phone: 848 932-2486 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For general information on licensing our new Varieties, contact:
Dr. Leon Segal Director, Licensing: 848-932-4464 email@example.com
See the Rutgers website http://agproducts.rutgers.edu/cranberries/ for more information, our economic-profit model, and authorized propagator information (Cutler Cranberry Co. for Mowings, Integrity Propagation LLC for Rooted Plants).
Rutgers New Varieties, Wisconsin Yield barrels/acre: 2009-2012
Data from beds planted 2009 or later.
Bars indicate average yield of 11 to 15 beds, and high-low range.
*NASS USDA data
- Insufficient data from other states
- WI has the highest historical yields, averaging ~30%+ higher than other states
- For growers reporting to Rutgers, Stevens yield typically 300-350+ bbls/acre (higher than WI or US averages)
- Yield may vary by local factors, horticultural practices, planting date, planting type (plants or mowings), density of initial planting, etc.
More information and data at
2014 Growers Bulletin
2014 Yields Reports Summary
Rutgers licensees send us Annual Reports providing yield* data by Variety, Bed Age, and other relevant information. We get many requests from growers asking about Variety performance, which may help make planting or purchase decisions. Here is years 2007 - 2014 data for 3 states (NJ, MA, WI) for which we have sufficient data* to provide feedback (only few data points for 2014 so far):
Please send in your 2014 Annual Reports so we can provide more feedback.
*Criteria for data inclusion: Beds must be >2 years old, and at least 2 Growers reports. Yield data as reported, assumed to be Usable Yield (typically 93%–96% of gross yield)
NEW VARIETIES: Contact Integrity Propagation for information on New Rutgers Varieties: Scarlet Knight®; Welker™; Haines™
2015 Growers Bulletin
Rutgers grower bulletin Jan 17 2015
See Rutgers Yield data, by Variety and State, collected via licensee Annual Reports
May assist growers in making purchase, planting, and propagation decisions
Rutgers Crimson Queen® Variety
(left) vs 'Stevens' variety
Rutgers Scarlet Knight® Variety
after 4 months storage
CQ = Crimson Queen®
MQ = Mullica Queen®
D = Demoranville®
Contact and useful information
For purchase of Rutgers Cranberry Varieties:
MOWINGS for Conventional Planting of: Crimson Queen®, Mullica Queen®,
Cutler Cranberry Company
N11569 County Road H, Camp Douglas, WI 54618-9738
Proprietor: Martin Potter
Administrator: Jessi Rezin
ROOTED PLANTS AND UNROOTED STOLONS, all varieties:
Integrity Propagation, LLC. www.integritypropagation.com
1 Speedwell Road, Chatsworth NJ 08019
Proprietor: Abbott Lee, Cell: 609-923-3143; Fax: 609-726-1239
Administrator: Barbara Bickel
Phone: 609-997-0309; Fax: 609-678-0435;
Rutgers license agreements, forms, questions, or copies of this bulletin:
Leon Segal, PhDDirector, Licensing
Office of Research Commercialization, Rutgers University
ASB III, 3 Rutgers Plaza
New Brunswick NJ 08901
Phone: 848 932-4464
Cell: 908 239-3132
Forms and info at:
or call 848-932-2486
Copies of this bulletin and general information at http://agproducts.rutgers.edu/cranberries/varieties.html
Cranberry economic profit model at http://cranberry.rutgers.edu/