Homeowners and Gardener Retail Purchasers
- Rutgers University does not sell plants, we license commercial nurseries who propagate the plants and then sell the young unrooted plants ("liners" or "whips") to other commercial nurseries, or to growers who further grow-out the plants, or to retail outlets. The final plants may be available to consumers in various forms and sizes (unrooted, potted, balled-bagged, mail order, etc.)
- Rutgers University can not recommend specific retail nurseries or garden centers because nursery offerings change periodically.
- Rutgers dogwoods are generally widely available. Homeowners and gardeners can contact a local nursery, garden center, 'big-box' store, or landscape firm and ask if they carry or can obtain Rutgers dogwoods. You may want to check before the season starts. Retail outlets should be able obtain Rutgers dogwoods from the licensed wholesale nurseries listed below, or other wholesale garden outlets.
- We also suggest that interested homeowners and gardeners select a few varieties that you are interested in from our website or other web descriptions, (you may want to search 'images' as well as general text search; or 'where-to-buy' search), so you can ask for specific (tradename) plants. Ask to see the plant tag or invoice with the Rutgers designation.
- In making your selection, consider the following:
- site conditions (dryness, shade)
- tree shape (rounded, pyramidal, etc)
- tree size desired—after 20 years!, as well as initial size
- amount of care you are able to provide (watering in drought is desirable for most plants; although established trees may survive well with minimal care)
- flower bract color, size, shape
- leaf color: spring, summer, and fall (including gloss, etc.)
- dogwood diseases in your area or recent past
- fruit: frequency of fruiting, color, size, shape, etc (for Fall interest)
- Be aware that plant leaf and flower bract shape and color may be affected by heat spells, drought, frost, etc.
- If you are thinking of dogwoods for a parking lot or near a highway, in general dogwoods appear to be fairly tolerant to air pollution. Kousa dogwoods seem to be even more tolerant, and we would expect the Rutgers hybrids to perform comparably. IN any case, we recommend you consult with a good garden center in your locale who can advise you on their experience and recommendations.
Mail order may be a good option, although the size of plants may be limited. While Rutgers can't provide recommendations, a cursory web search in 2014 yielded the following sites:
- You can also contact the licensed commercial nurseries listed below by phone or email, they may be able to let you know who they sell to in your region.
- To assure you are purchasing a Rutgers dogwood, ask to see the Rutgers plant tag or invoice. Young dogwoods or leafless trees may all look alike.
U.S. Authorized Licensees
Asexual reproduction of Rutgers patented hybrid dogwoods and use of trademark names without a license agreement from Rutgers University is strictly prohibited. To insure genetic purity and variety performance of Rutgers dogwoods we recommend you purchase trees from nurseries that purchased their inventory from propagators who are authorized licensees of Rutgers University and use the variety trademark by name.
The following commercial growers are licensed to sell specific cultivars. Licensee of Scarlet Fire™ dogwood are listed separately.
Yamhill, OR and St. Paul, MN
Red Barn Nursery
J. Frank Schmidt & Son Co.
Craig Spinks Nursery
Hans Nelson & Sons
John Holmlund Nursery
Angel Creek Nursery
After Hours Nursery
Tennessee Valley Nursery
Walnut Hill Farms
Hidden Hollow Nursery
G & G Nursery
Pearl and Dennie Hill Nursery
Phone: 011-72 21-50 74-0
Eberts Nursery in Germany has partners who will grow Rutgers dogwoods making them available at garden centers throughout Europe. Eberts Nursery has the exclusive rights in Europe to propagate the new Venus® and Starlight®. The distribution of the variety Venus® is by licensed partners. These are mostly wholesale nurseries who can direct you to garden centers near you.