Hyperion® is one of the more recent commercial releases from Dr. Orton's famed hybrid dogwood breeding program at Rutgers University.
Qualities for Hyperion® include:
- Produces profuse, very attractive white flowers (bracts)
- You will be pleasantly surprised how the flowers will almost completely cover the tree
- During the fall months you will enjoy admiring the attractive strawberry like fruit
- Expect dark green foliage during the summer, while the fall foliage is multi-colored, with shades of yellow, purple, and orange leaves
- Hyperion ® will produce a tree of extreme vigor and rapid growth
- This dogwood variety has developed a reputation for good tolerance of drought conditions
- Hyperion® is noted for high resistance to the diseases powdery mildew and anthracnose. In fact, no insect or disease problems have been observed during the almost thirty years since the original Hyperion® hybrid seedling was established in the field.
- The original tree of Hyperion® was over twenty feet tall and twenty feet wide at twenty years of age
- Has displayed a high level of winter hardiness – USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 6A